Super Smash bros. Ultimate is the fifth installment in the series. It’s a crossover fighting game for the Nintendo Switch developed my Bandai Namco Studios and Sora Ltd and published by Nintendo in December 2018.
This tournament is mainly for people who have never participated in a Smash bros. tournament before, so no previous experience is needed.
We will go through the rules with the players before the tournament and you can also find them printed on the spot so don't worry if you are not familiar with the Smash bros. games before. We will help you get started.
Date: Thursday, 1st of August
Place: Helsinki Exhibition & Convention Centre, Helsinki, Finland. Smash bros. booth.
Player cap: 32
Format: Single player. Double elimination bracket. Best of 3.
Sign-up starts: July 15th
Equipment: Bring your own gamecube controller or pro controller if you have one. We have some spare ones if you don't own one.
Check-in: Thursday (1.8.2019) 16:30-17:30 at the Smash bros. booth.
GAME PLAY RULES
- Stocks: 3
- Timer: 8 minutes
- Handicap: Off
- Damage Ratio: 1.0
- Items: Off
- Pause: Off
- Final Smash meter: Off
- Stage hazards: Off
- Friendly Fire: On
Stages are designated as either “Starters” or “Counterpicks.” Starter stages are available during Stage Striking (as defined later) and Counterpicks are only available during subsequent stage picks.
- Lylat cruise
- Pokemon Stadium
- Battlefield / Battlefield variations
- Final Destination / Omega forms
- Yoshi's Story
- Kalos Pokémon League
- Town and City
- Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
- Unova Pokémon Leaguev
- The following steps outline the process of playing a Match:
- Players select their characters.
- Decide stage strike order with rock-paper-scissors. The winner starts.
- Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage.
- The Players play the first Game of the Match.
- Winning Player of the preceding Game bans 2 stages.
- The losing Player of the preceding Game picks a stage for the next Game.
- The winning Player of the preceding Game may choose to change characters.
- The losing Player of the preceding Game may choose to change characters.
- The next Game is played.
- Repeat steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent Games until the Match is complete. Report your scores to the tournament organizer.
“Stage Striking” is defined as removing stages from the Starter list to decide the stage for the first Game. The Player with first strike strikes first, followed by the other Player striking two stages, followed by the Player with first strike striking one more stage. The remaining stage from the Starter list is used for the first Game.
Smash Finland recommended ruleset for Super Smash bros. Ultimate (Finnish only):